Monday, August 26, 2013

good eats

It was only a matter of time before I absolutely had to bring up the food.


This is a trompo. A fresh pineapple sits on its cap so that as it spins, the juice can ooze out over the pork shoulder and glaze the meat. The flames lick the golden edges as they crisp and curl, just in time for the taquera to shave it off into a corn tortilla. Of course, it's not complete until each taco has been topped with roasted pineapple, sprinkled with chopped cilantro and onions, and splashed with fresh squeezed lime and an assortment of homemade salsas.

It's my favorite. And I promise to take you down the street to get a few (there's absolutely no shame in wanting more than a few) if you visit me. Meanwhile, I have to shield my face from the trompo each time I walk past, so I don't succumb to it's temptation...daily.



At the end of the day, I'm grateful (and feeling slightly spoiled!) to be able to enter in and enjoy just one of many beautiful aspects of the culture that Mexico City so proudly and vividly displays.




No comments:

Post a Comment

);